Monday, September 8, 2008

The Science of Science Fiction

I have been wanting to write a blog entry on this for a long time and probably will do a sequel at some point in the future with more of my own thoughts. For now, however, I want to point you to the most recent episode of Astronomy Cast where they dissect the Science of Science Fiction at Dragoncon. Panelists include Pamela Gay (of Astronomycast), Phil Plait (from Bad Astronomy) and Kevin Grazier (JPL and science advisor to Battlestar Galactica and Eureka).

The discussion includes the good, the bad and the ugly. All are Doctor Who fans and they talk a lot of BSG and Eureka of course. They also have an ineresting discussion of how scientists are protrayed in science fiction and how that can influence people's attitude toward science.

This podcast (avaialble for free) is an entertaining hour long discussion on what they like and don't like in sci fi. And its fun hearing old friends. Pamela and I first crossed paths when she was an undergrad at Michigan State and I was a grad student (although I never was a TA in one of her classes!) Phil and I started emailing in about 1999 and met in person in 2001 and worked together on a couple of projects for many years. Hope to meet Kevin in January when I will be in his backyard.

Toward the end of the show, Pamela talks about seeing clips of the movie Armageddon for the first time...I was sitting right next to her at the time and will say that she understated her recation to them!

If you are into science fiction (and even if you are not) its a fun listen. If you like astronomy, check out their weekly show. It's targeted toward the interested beginner in astronomy and they cover a a very diverse range of topics. Heck, it's good enough I listen every week and I know most of it already!

3 comments:

drewzepmeister said...

Very interesting links,hale. I especially liked the Bad Astronomy.

hale-bopp said...

And if you look at Bad Astronomy now, you will see that Phil gave a call out to us as he linked to my blog post.

drewzepmeister said...

Yeah,I noticed it. Kinda cool,huh?